[meteorite-list] More stupid media use of meteorites

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:12:03 -0700

Hi Darren, Carl, Paul, List,

I started to reply to this yesterday but got pulled away before I could
send the email. So far I've read 3 negative comments against this movie
and one positive.

Come on guys... It's a movie! And before you guys jump on me exclaiming
that the movie should be more scientifically accurate, and Hollywood is
only in it for the money I want to say. You're Right! The movie should
have more accurate information regarding asteroid/meteorite impacts,
but... It's Hollywood! They don't get paid to be accurate, they get paid
with ticket sales, DVDs, adverts, licensing, etc. What the heck did you
think Hollywood was going to do? Did you think Hollywood would ignore
2012? What better way than to play on the public's paranoia and fears.
They've done it since the beginning of movie time! I don't know why this
irks me when people seem to be overly judgmental and like to bash things
just because. I'm not defending the inaccuracies in the movie, but
sheesh. It's entertainment.

I'm kind of torn about it this. Part of me loves the Hollywood visual
effects and CGI, the sound was awesome too. On the flip side, I do wish
I people would learn more about asteroid impacts and depict them in a
scientifically accurate manner. It is possible to balance science and
entertainment, but it's difficult, and cost loads of cash in a big
budget film like this one to hire expert scientific advisers.

I like the premise, love the visuals, and let them have their artistic
license.

2012 is a great idea for a movie... Now I wonder what Steven Spielberg &
George Lucas has planned for the upcoming doom-n-gloom date.

That's a movie I eagerly await!

Regards,
Eric