[meteorite-list] Age of Man

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:35:11 -0500

Hi, Chris, List,

    Wegener was a meteorologist, not a geologist.
He was working "outside his field," the ultimate
crime. He could never get academic support (or
a job) because he was not a geologist. Finally, an
Austrian university created a chair of "meteorology
and geophysics" for him, late in his life.

    He got good funding, but for his meteorological
work, not geology. His theory was particularly
dispised in the US, and he was widely ridiculed
for it. A meteorologist! What's he up to?

    The prevailing theory was Land Bridges: "The
scientific consensus was of sunken land and continents,
now covered in oceans. This land had once provided
a migratory path for the former flora and fauna,
now found as fossils in diverse continents. Land,
of course, was a permanent and unmovable feature
of the earth's surface. Although it might sink,
land could neither move nor be created afresh.
The sunken land had, it was supposed, suffered
from the effects of a 'cooling and contracting earth'.
As the core of the earth cooled and contracted,
its outer crust collapsed inwards. Mountains had
thus arisen, and oceans formed in the depressions,
covering the earlier land bridges."

    Along with the theory of continental drift, Wegener
wrote many criticisms of the land bridge theory. This
did not make him popular, either. I recall seeing many
charts of "land bridges" in texts when I was in high
school, narrow intersecting highways across the Pacific
Ocean, with new ones added for every duplicate fossil
species find. Silliest dam thing you ever saw.

Sterling K. Webb