[meteorite-list] Martian Hematite Spherules of Meridiani Planum

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:43:11 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/2009 8:53:10 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
joshuatreemuseum at embarqmail.com writes:
Paul:
Don't forget the Martian Hematite Spherules of Meridiani Planum:

http://www.geocities.com/rlewis6/Spherules_MERB.htm

In the meteorite JaH 073 there are very small spheres. My guess is they
are micro concretions perhaps indicating a water action at some point in
this find. Too small for direct observation. At a magnification of about
350X they show up nicely.

They have been dismissed as chondrules, but I would say with as much
certainty as is reasonable in such cases, they are not.

Some are in my micrograph gallery
(http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-alpha_frame.htm ) under JaH 073 but if you like this sort of
thing, just ask and I will send you more spherule shots.

Tom Phillips

fingertips.