[meteorite-list] Stinky Meteorite

From: michael cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 17:23:54 -0700

Hello,

In the early days when Mike Farmer and I where bringing over the very
first batches of NWA's, I believe it was NWA 96? or NWA 90 something,
somewhere around that number, we had one that upon cutting smelled
like "Cotton Candy" It baffled everyone as to what the smell was or
where it came from. It was distinct though and no doubt it came from
within the meteorite. Some of you know which one I am talking about.
The smell of that meteorite made me think of the county fairs I have
been to! Since then I have come across many chondrites both
carbonaceous and ordinary that have had distinct smells-smells like
charcoal, gunpowder, bubble gum or cotton candy, acid like smells,
paint smells, and other smells. A strange event and very hard to pin
point down to the cause...

Best Wishes

Michael Cottingham
http://stores.ebay.com/voyage-botanica-natural-history