[meteorite-list] Fw: New Issue: Granite-like rocks on Vesta

From: barrat at univ-brest.fr <barrat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:07:25 +0200

Hello,

HED meteorites contain often a silica phase... Anyway, the crust of Vesta is
commonly thought to be made of basalts (eucrites) and mafic or ultramafic
cumulates (diogenites and cumulate eucrites). We have studied a few howardites
and found impact glass beads. Some of these glasses are very rich in potassium
and one bead contains a remain of a silica-rich glass whose composition is
granitic-like. These observations indicate that the crust of Vesta contains
additionnal lithologies, possibly silica-rich and Potassium-rich similar in
composition to granitic rocks.

cheers,

Jean-Alix