[meteorite-list] Anyone know a 'Jude Noonan'?

From: Randy Korotev <korotev_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:44:28 -0500

Dear Marco:

I have been contacted ~30 times over the last year by someone at that
e-mail address who identifies himself as James Rice. He sends lots
of photos of things he identifies as "imbedded spherules," "lapilli,"
"fusion crust," and "widmanstatten" in his rocks, which he claims are
from Amsterdam. I urged him to get a chemical analysis of his
rocks. He did, and he is now combing the lunar literature. He has
found irrelevant similarities in concentrations of some trace
elements in his samples and some lunar meteorites. He completely
ignores my interpretation of his data - The composition is consistent
with massive iron oxide (hematite?) with a little quartz, limestone,
and maybe clay. I've told him several times that the rocks are not
meteorites. He's one of those guys who just keeps looking for
evidence in favor of his hypothesis while ignoring the evidence
against it. I don't respond to inquiries any more, so I guess that's
why he's contacted you!

Randy Korotev