[meteorite-list] Opinions on an oddball meteorite I cut open

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:22:38 -0700

Hey Mike, Jason, List,

The term "very low" when referring to magnetism in a stone meteorite is
"very subjective" isn't it? Is there a scale to go by, or industry
standard for strength of magnetism? I've had stone material that a super
strong and very large neo magnet would barely stick to.

Also wouldn't small slices such as this piece and others be hard to
determine types due to the small mass. I mean, a small 10 gram stone
wouldn't be completely representative of an entire mass if that mass is
unknown would it? I've seen and cut some chondrites with dual
lithologies but if I cut those stones in half down the separation line
of the mineral types, how would you know what type it is?

Regards,
Eric