[meteorite-list] Meteorite Display

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 14:05:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi List,

I am in the process of moving, and before I broke down my meteorite
display, it occurred to me that I had never taken a photo of the
entire display. So before I started packing stuff away, I took
this photo.

In the upper right corner are clear acrylic cubes with my larger
specimens. There are also assorted Riker displays. 47 of the
smaller specimens are kept in 3x4" Riker boxes with labels from
Roman Jirasek. Some of my tinier specks are kept in a separate
cabinet because they aren't showy enough to merit a Riker box.

There is also a Canyon Diablo display with spheroids from the
Nininger collection and a variety of specimens from the crater.

I also grouped together some of my most rare (but obscure) NWA
pieces into a single large Riker display. It's the one in the
center row, on the bottom. It's loaded with ureilite, brachinite,
chassignite, olivine diogenite, dunite, and a few others.

I really like how Roman's bent labels look inside the Riker boxes.
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the flat labels - they have that
area at the bottom for writing in the information. They take up
too much window space in a 3x4" Riker (reducing the maximum size
of the specimen that can accompany it) and I just don't like the
aesthetics of the bottom portion of the label. So, the bent labels
meant for free-standing use fit perfectly because they press flat
again the glass anyway, and the bottom part is not visible.
To keep things neat, I have an idea for filling in the black portion
of these labels. For my NWA XXXX labels, I print out the number on
adhesive label paper, cut it out, and carefully apply it to the
metal label. Everything looks neat that way and I can simply peel
off the adhesive paper number if I decide to use the label for
another specimen.

Scattered about the display are a few vintage meteorite-related
postcards and misc memorabilia. The empty bottom right-hand portion
of the display is where my cat usually sleeps. I ceded that area
of the display to the cat because I had no choice.

Here is a link to the photo, forgive the flash -

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/The%20Collection/meteor-display-1.jpg

Clear skies!

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com