[meteorite-list] Parry Sound, Ontario meteor 5MAR08 any updates on meteorite recovery?

From: Michael Bross <element33_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 01:01:27 +0100

> While I have heard nothing further, the linked maps suggest whatever
> survived may have splashed into Georgian Bay.
> Mark

Hello List

This makes me rebound on questions I had prepared for the list

- do you know of any occurrence of a meteorite found on a beach, coming from
the ocean ?
- if not, why ? Are they not looked for ? Or are they just not "expectable"
?

I lived many years on Long Island (NY) and remember especially the mid 90s
with amazing tides:
El Nino + Equinox tides bringing ashore from the near coastal depths,
shells, beautiful weathered
glass pieces, stones, that we usually didn't see.
We found a 200 years old small snail like shell at Nino time. Just lying on
the beach.
Not counting old amazing Horseshoe crab shells...

There was also the magnificent and powerful Leonid shower from 1997 (or
1996?)
... some meteorites must have gone to the ocean, no ?

I am just very curious about this.
Off course the found meteorites would certainly be weathered, rounded etc...
by their
stay in the salty and rough ocean... but knowing that the undersea plateau
is wide and
long and that tides can bring up elements from this plateau floors... well,
there might be
some meteorites in it...
Or am I totally nut to think that way ?

And this would count for most of all coastal areas in the world.

Cheers
Michael Bross