[meteorite-list] WG: AW: [IMCA] Hammers & Orientation from Dave

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 1:31:24 -0400

Darryl, Anne, Martin, all,
To Darryl's point; When we bombed Japan we detonated well above grade. I would think we would all agree that the people were killed by the bomb even though not a direct hit.
But even more important to the true hammer issue is that the big bang that caused the crater at Carancas did in fact hit a spring that had built around it, man made levees in order to hold back the water for the animals to drink from. That means by definition the whole enchilada was a hammer and not just the pieces that hit the house because it destroyed a man made levee.
I would also like to add that Carancas is the most under appreciated hammer of them all. This fall caused all of the books on impact to need to be re-written. In addition it's cosmochemistry is still considered inexplicable and not even published yet because they cannot figure it out. I am told they had the test equipment sent back to be re calibrated the readings were so odd. But it turned out that the instruments were okay after all and Carancas is just some really strange and historical event.
My 2 more cents.

Carl Esparza
Imca 5829
meteoritemax