[meteorite-list] Meteoroids Before Meteorites

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:50:29 -0600

Hi Eric-

Obviously, meteoroids don't have fusion crusts, but that doesn't mean they
have light colored exteriors. In general, just about everything orbiting the
Sun has proven to be darker than expected. Being in a vacuum doesn't mean an
object is in an inert environment. Millions or even billion of years of
bombardment by interplanetary dust, solar wind, and radiation does have an
effect.

As you observed, our few closeup images of asteroids show dark surfaces, and
meteoroids are nothing but fragments of asteroids. There's no way of saying
for certain, but I'd put my money on the meteoroid parents of meteorites
like West having fairly dark surfaces most of the time.

(BTW, don't forget that the surface of the Moon is as dark as fresh asphalt;
rayed craters show that there is lighter material beneath that, at least in
some places.)

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory