[meteorite-list] West hunt notes.

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:41:42 -0700 (PDT)

After spending a few hours and 10 miles of walking today, I found a 25 gram complete meteorite. The heavy rain is taking it's toll on the West meteorite pieces. The stone I found was showing signs of oxidation. Strangly a large metal nodule shows no problems but there are spots on the crust with rust starting to show. Overall though, the stone is almost as good as the originals.
The ground here is saturated, every step is a sloshing/sinking feeling. The area got over 5-6 inches of rain, all ponds are pretty much full or overflowing, and Ash Creek where Greg Hupe found the famous "mud stone" was clearly a raging torrent only 24 hours ago. Today that spot was under 3 or 4 feet of water. Thankfully Greg saved a wonderful meteorite from oblivion.
I expect to be here another day or so, then get back to Tucson and start sorting the Tucson show goodies, and updating my website.
Michael Farmer