[meteorite-list] Hammer Definitions

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:35:29 -0600

Hi Michael,

> I have 10 or 11 DIFFERENT Park Forest hammer stone specimens
> - Several houses, a Plymouth, a tow truck, a fire station,
> a baseball Field, a fence, etc.

Is a baseball field a human artifact? The bases on the field are, so are
the bleachers, chalk lines on the field, etc, but is the grass and dirt? If
the grass and dirt are, then so are all of the house lawns across the world
since humans planted or landscaped them. I'm not trying to start an
argument, but just want to get this loophole closed/clarified for all of the
hammer collectors out there. Most of the trees in Phoenix were planted by
humans over the last couple hundred years, so if a meteorite hits a tree in
Phoenix, would that be considered a hammer stone? I mention Phoenix because
that is where I am from and I know that most of the trees are not indigenous
to the area (besides the palo verdes, cottonwoods, some of the palms, etc).
And yes, many of the palms, palo verdes, etc were also planted/transplanted
to their current locations by people, so...

Thanks for any clarification to this question.

Bob