[meteorite-list] Weird Meteorite News

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:16:02 -0700

I was scouring the web as I usually do looking for meteorite related
information when I stumbled on this.

This is an old one from 2006 but it's worth a read...

2006-08-04 Josephine Roque - All Headline News Staff Writer
SOURCE: http://www.ncbuy.com/news/2006-08-04/1012558.html
Indian Villagers Venerate Rocks Following Meteor Shower

"...(AHN) -- According to sources, western Indian villagers have started
idolizing rock fragments from a meteor shower. Some villagers imagine
that the meteorites are the rocks that Rama, the Ramayana's Hindu epic
hero, gathered to make the bridge to rescue his kidnapped wife.

The Times of India reported that the villagers of Gujarat state's Kutch
region have been searching for rock fragments after a meteor shower made
streaks of light over three populated districts late Monday.

Witnesses claim a big thud resounded Monday night while other people
spoke of streaks of red and yellow light trailing from the sky.

There are those who believe that the rock fragments hold special powers.

"My son picked up one such stone and developed rashes on his hands. I
believe these stones have been sent by God," said Hansa Bai, a villager
who lives in Jamnagar district, according to the AFP..."

Anyone remember this one?

--
Regards,
Eric Wichman