[meteorite-list] Silver stuff on the West?

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:38:40 +1100

G'day John & all,

That's certainly an interesting theory but I don't know either if that is
possible or not. I hope someone studying West will have the opportunity to
study this feature. I was having a think about this the other day
too. A couple of ideas I had were:

1) Possibly a reaction between something in the fusion crust (iron
component... magnetite?) and localised soil and/or vegetation. (i.e.
staining by acidic compounds?) This is just a thought which I don't know
virtually nothing about.

2) The second is obviously more like something that happened during passage
through the atmosphere. For example the silver sheen on magnetite crystals
is due to high luster on the crystal faces (reflectivness). In this case
could it be due to an abrasive ablation effect?

I bet there are MANY theories on this feature and I'd certainly be
interested to hear some.

Cheers,

Jeff