[meteorite-list] Palmer rock

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:49:46 +0100

I would guess a metamorph diabase heavily weathered. It could also be a
sedimentary rock of some kind, hard to tell without having a piece of it
in my hand. Nothing interesting, put it in the garden.

If it was laying on top of the snow it couldn't have come from the sky.
I would have either shattered on impact or created an impact pit. I
can't see any crust, just weathered iron bearing stone with a surface of
mixed iron hydroxides and oxides (i.e. rust).

Even if you don't find any similar rocks in the vicinity it doesn't mean
anything. You said it yourself, "the top 100 feet of soil is galcial
moraine." so it could have come from anywhere.

It's time for a reality check, you have discarded a number of various
meteorite classes, try the same thing for every rock type found in
Alaska and you will get a long list of rocks it could be. If you don't
want to do it then you already suspect it is not a meteorite but don't
want to shatter your dream.

Probably not what you wanted to hear after investing so much in EDS and
other research, but you asked for my opinion.

You are welcome to Sweden, I can probably find a similar rock within 30
minutes walk from my home.

Regards, G?ran