[meteorite-list] Fireballs From The Sky: Bombarded

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:43:55 -0600

Debris clouds get spread out pretty quickly by gravitational perturbations.
An old collision in the asteroid belt between differentiated bodies would
produce different types of material, but it wouldn't be in any sort of
coherent orbit such that we'd see a surge in activity.

In fact, there's not much evidence that we are seeing a surge in activity,
and if we are, simple statistics is all you need to explain it.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com