[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - May 7, 2009

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 21:18:24 +0200

I found this in the description section of MetBase, and may be this is also the text in the BMNH catalog (P.S. don?t have that one available for lookup here at my secondary place to live)...:

"Station workers observed a fireball in October 1960 while opening a gate in the boundary fence on the Millbillillie-Jundee track and an object appeared to fell 'with sparks coming off it' into a spinifex plain to their north. No search was initiated at that time, but in 1970 and 1971 the first two specimens, the larger one weighing 20kg, were found..."

...so from this info, and the info that 20 kg are in the Perth museum, I would conclude it is very probable that the stone pictured weighs 20 kg and is one of the first two finds of 1970/1971. [Btw: interesting they obviously did not look for fallen meteorites in that place for a whole decade].

Alex
Berlin/Germany