[meteorite-list] Anyone remember this?

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:20:05 -0400

Obviously at the outset a meteorwrong....but somehow required months
to establish after a team of scientists from Rutgers declared it was a
meteorite.

With no visual or sonic phenomena to accompany the low altitude
explosion, which would have been the only explanation for such a shape
and striated surface character without fusion crust, there was no way
this was a meteorite. I vigorously pointed out to the local
newspapers and Rutgers this couldn't possibly be a meteorite to no
avail. I was on a live FOX radio show where they literally took me
off the air after having called me to ask what I thought of the "new
meteorite." When I pointed out that it was unlikely this was a
meteorite, they pointed out "And you have a degree in what?" and upon
my answer cut to a commercial and I was toast.

Months after Rutgers put the object on display in their natural
history museum---for which they attracted their largest crowds ever---
it was publicly acknowledged the origin of this object was of earthly
provenance.