[meteorite-list] Anyone remember this?

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 13:31:05 EDT

All,

In my last post, I failed to tie the first point together with the second.

Sometimes experts actually do get it right, but the members media of the
media are the ones that twist it and make it wrong with misquotes.

There is a story today in the Wichita paper (at least online) with a
mistake in it, saying Geoff helped me dig up the big 1,430 pound Brenham 3 1/2
years ago. While Geoff did show up a couple of days later, and was
instrumental in helping us get the word out to the media about the Main Mass find,
he wasn't there when it was dug up, Phil Mani was.

Who knows how that mistake happened? Neither Geoff or I said that to the
reporter. She didn't pull that from an earlier story she wrote. Go figure?

But now that it is in print, others will probably run with the "fact" in
future stories.

The poor Fire Chief at Monahans still has the stigma of taking the
meteorite away from the boys that found it because an AP reporter stated it as
fact. We all know it was the Police Chief of Monahans that confiscated the
rock without the due process of law.

"Little mistake" some will say. "Not a big deal" others would say.
"Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story" still others would argue.

It might be a big deal to the Fire Chief, or to Phil Mani, or to any of
the other BILLIONS of people who would like to be able to believe that facts
stated in the media are true as stated.

If editors would edit, or if reporters would run a story buy the quoted
person to fact check before it goes to print, mistakes could be avoided.

But, deadlines have to be met. The next story has to be started. Ads
have to be sold.

It is life in the news media world.

One day soon we won't have newspapers anymore. It will all be online.
And mistakes will be able to be corrected in short order.

Until then, we suffer, and do the best we can with what we've got.

Steve Arnold

In a message dated 5/8/2009 12:02:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time,