[meteorite-list] Angrite or not?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:29:42 -0500

Hi Doug, Norbert, and List,

I am schooled again. Thanks for that link Doug. It does resemble the
specimen in the auction link provided. I saw the Hupe card, but I
also noticed that the specimen is not in the original Hupe gemjar or
stapled ziploc bag. Typically (Adam and/or Greg can correct me here
if I am wrong), the Hupe collection small micro specimens come in a 1"
gemjar with a small circular, colored label on the lid. This gemjar
is then placed in a small ziploc bag which is stapled to the specimen
card. I own many micros like this and I have a habit of taking them
out of the 1" Hupe-supplied gemjars and putting them into 1.25"
gemjars which I have standardized into my collection. I keep the Hupe
specimen cards in my file. So, if I were to resell a specimen such as
the one on eBay I originally posted about, it might raise the same red
flags in a potential buyer's mind - yes there is a Hupe card shown,
but it's not in the original Hupe "packaging" so the card is less
relevant and dependant on provenance and/or the reputation of the
seller.

I don't put a ton of stock into memberships or credentials, but I do
feel more assured (as a buyer) if I see that the seller is a member of
the Meteoritical Society or IMCA - or, if they are a familiar face on
the market. So I was a little weary of this listing when I saw it and
I wanted some input from the veterans of the list. It seems the
specimen is likely genuine based on photo comparisons - it's larger
and has more aesthetic features (a vein?) than my old NWA 2999 micro.
In my mind, I had erroneously assumed that angrite had a texture more
in line with friability and that it wouldn't resemble the specimen
shown in the auction photos - or in most of the photos I had seen.

Even though I'd like to acquire another angrite specimen for my
cabinet (I currently don't have that type represented amongst my 43
types), I will pass on this one. I need to cool my spending jets
anyway before the wife kills me. ;)

Thanks for straightening me out (again) and best regards to the list,

MikeG