[meteorite-list] Daylight Fireball! Meteor Plane or Space, Debris?

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 10:20:39 -0700

Normally I would agree. However this one seemed to be a different color.
The trail seemed darker, or dirtier than the usually pristine white of a
high altitude jetliner. And in the original report stated a witness (the
photographers daughter) stated she had seen what appeared to be pieces
falling away from the object during flight.

"...It was very bright and there were chunks breaking away..."

Read Paul Weaver's Report Here On LiveJournal:
http://fremantlebiz.livejournal.com/483475.html

Also there wasn't the usual pin-prick of a point to the trails. You
could argue this is because of the low resolution of the photo though. I
was clear in my article on my site that this is as yet unidentified,
though I do think the possibility of it being a fireball is there.

http://www.meteoritesusa.com/blog/meteorite-articles/daylight-fireball-over-rottnest-island-australia-photo/

On the jetliner side of this, I do not see a ball of fire at the front
most portion of the trail of "smoke". Only contrails. Do a search on
contrails and thumb through the thousands of contrail images. Analysis
of the images will quickly show that there's one thing in common. Most
have 2 very clear trails immediately from the rear of the plane. There
are a few where the contrails converge into one, but even those usually
show a plan at the front.

 This "fireball" has two very faint trails but they converge very
distinctly into one larger one.

I don't know what this is... That's why I posted it. Regardless of what
it is, it brings up an interesting conversation topic about fireballs.
Specifically ones seen during the day.

This might just be a daylight meteor fireball, and a large one at that...

Regards,
Eric