[meteorite-list] Geological Blogs About coastal 'chevrons' andmega-tsunamis

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 17:53:07 -0500

Hi, Chevron-ists Pro and Con,

    Lumping all these comments together, I notice
a few disconcerting things. Most just mention
"impacts" as the name of an opposing theory, but
a few discuss "impacts," and their remarks are
revealing.
    One reasons that there were a finite number
of asteroids to begin with, that they been being
"used up" for billions of years, and that there can't
be enough of them left to account for all these
"impacts."
    Do we really need to dignify that with a reply?
    Another suggests that the number of asteroids
observed near the Earth are far too few to account
for all the recent impacts, therefore most recent
"impacts" are mis-identified and never happened.
    And so on... This is what I call naive uninformed
skepticism and is basically a pseudo-rationale for
people who just don't like the idea of "impacts."
    Another mental limitation is expressed in the
doubt of several that tsunamis are capable of getting
very high, say, over 100 meters. Theirs is not a
qualitative calculated doubt, just a prejudice
against any events ever being very extreme. Good
Old Time Geological Religion -- Anti-Catastrophism.
    Apparently, they are unfamiliar with the fact the
 maximum OBSERVED tsunami wave height is
1722 feet (525 meters). There is no physical limit to
the height of a tsunami and no theoretical reason
why you couldn't generate one 3000 or 4000 meters
high. (Can I borrow that asteroid for a minute?)
    I complained about the lack of spadework, and now
I learn from one blog that Bourgeois never visited ANY
chevrons except by means of Google Earth. Tourist
Science.
    Dallas Abbott, the originator of the mega-tsunami
theory addresses the "wind-blown" theory in some
detail (at least for the Madagascan chevrons) here:
http://www.gsajournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-static&name=i1052-5173-18-6-e12&ct=1
    You could wait for the next big ocean impact, or
(to repeat my earlier point): fieldwork, fieldwork,
fieldwork!...

Sterling K. Webb