[meteorite-list] Toluca Axe?

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 14 May 2009 16:05:26 UT

> am being told that ASU has an AXE from Toluca so I
> am going to try and find a pic but I have not seen it yet.

This one (see JPGEG in private mail)? Sorry for the poor quality but
it 's a scanned version of a b&w reprint from 1952! The description
says:

"An implement known as a barretta, forged from a meteorite in the
Village of Xiquipilco. For use, a handle is inserted in the sleeve at
the top and the tool is used much as we use a crowbar."

Meteorites of Xiquipilco, Mexico - by Dr. H.H. Nininger, Director,
American Meteorite Museum, Winslow, Ariz., Photos by Nininger

Reprint from Earth Science Digest, November,
1952, Vol. 6, No. 3. Pages 19 to 30, excerpt):

The Search for Implements

In 1929 I had succeeded in finding a single implement manufactured
from meteoritic iron, and we had hoped to discover more on the recent
expedition. We continually kept on the alert when tools or implements
were in sight, but all were evidently of artificial steel.
We had planned to carry on this search through the local blacksmith, but
fate seemed to be against us. Xiquipilco is by no means a cultured community.
I have not seen, in all of my travels in Mexico, a village that seemed to have
absorbed less of civilization. Life is rugged there. And so it was that a murdered
man was carried into the office of the "Presidente" about the time we arrived;
and it turned out that the blacksmith who was prominent on our list of persons
to be visited was not to be interviewed. He it was who had committed the murder.
We thought it best that strange people should not be showing too much interest
in him on this particular occasion.