[meteorite-list] Meteor Strike May Have Caused Peat Bog Fire in England

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 19:09:52 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/meteor_strike_may_have_caused_peat_bog_fire_near_carlisle_1_555728

Meteor strike may have caused peat bog fire near Carlisle
By Phil Coleman
News Star
May 16, 2009

A huge fire which tore through a Cumbria peat bog near Carlisle may have
been caused by a meteor strike, according to some locals.

Firefighters spent several hours on Monday morning battling the blaze at
Wedholme Flow, near Kirkbride, which at its height stretched for half a
mile, leaving a wall of fire visible from miles around.

It has now emerged that some residents living near the bog reported
seeing a white-hot meteor streaking through the night sky.

The theory is that it may have triggered fire shortly after striking the
ground on Sunday night.

The nature reserve is managed by Natural England. Alasdair Brock, who is
senior manager at the site, helped the team of 17 firefighters who
tackled the blaze.

He said: "My wife Claire is a GP in Penrith, and a colleague of hers who
was passing nearby saw the meteorite or something flashing through the
sky in the general vicinity of the Solway mosses.

"I believe this man is a reliable witness, so it's entirely feasible
this happened."

Natural England spokesman Will Herman said: "The meteor theory is a
possible cause of the fire but there's no way now of verifying this as
any meteorite is likely to have been small and would have buried itself
in the peat, leaving little evidence.

"Our senior manager went out the next day to check that everything was
out and to have a look around. Unfortunately he saw no evidence of the
meteorite."

The meteor theory is thought to carry weight as the weather at the time
of the fire was not particularly hot, and the area is not known for
attracting vandals who might want to start fires, particularly late at
night.

One eyewitness who may have seen the meteor was Paula Hinds, who was
sitting at home in Langholm when her attention was drawn to a skylight.
"It all happened in a split second," said Paula, 29. "I saw a light,
like a firework but a lot bigger. It shot across the sky. It was about
10pm and it was heading towards Carlisle.

"It thought nothing more about it until the following morning when I
heard about the fire and the idea that it may have been caused by a meteor."

Three fire crews from Carlisle, Wigton and Silloth used beaters to kill
the flames as the fire spread.

A Cumbria fire service spokesman said: "The fire and smoke could be seen
from several miles away."

David Sparkes, 57, who lives nearby, said the fire was first spotted by
his 14-year-old daughter Marie.

"The whole lot went up very quickly," he said.

"Normally, the wind blows towards our house but fortunately that night
it wasn't.

"We were out watching the fire until 12.30am."