[meteorite-list] IMCA & Moroccans

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:30:16 -0400

Hi, All,

IMCA is a very young organization, and young organizations, almost by
definition, are imperfect. That said, IMCA does more than any other
organization to help insure authenticity of marketed meteorites. Note the
word "help," as they can't do it all and shouldn't be expected to do so.
Before taking shots or laughing at IMCA, why not add some value to the
debate of what makes for a better international community of meteorite
exchange? I am an IMCA member and very much appreciate everything that they
do (a handful of members and directors in particular, which is always the
case in a large organization). That said, I do not personally agree with
everything IMCA does -- and in some cases does not do -- but I've picked up
the phone in those cases, spoken with directors, shared some thoughts which
were intended to be productive, and supported them in full otherwise. It is
impossible for a large group to satisfy the desires of every single member,
not to mention, in this case, every collector on the meteorite list. But
what say the detractors put in some effort and show up with a better mouse
trap before glibly mocking the cheese? It is so easy to throw darts, and
yet it takes a lot of effort to affect true, positive change. Lastly re:
IMCA, this endless debate re: what constitutes a "fair" price is out of
IMCA's realm and, beyond that, just plain tired. A fair price is what
someone is willing to pay, period, so if it's not fair to you then don't pay
it and have a nice day.

The issue of allegedly dishonest Moroccan dealers also floated to the
surface, yet again, in this most recent thread. I've had experience with
several of those dealers over the years, and have always found them to be
reputable. That is not to say that every transaction has gone smoothly, as
from time to time they haven't. But at the end of the day, even when things
haven't gone perfectly, it has been my experience that most deals run quite
smoothly. And in the event where there is a misunderstanding -- usually
emerging from the simple fact that I am unable to speak their native tongue
as a second language as they rather effectively communicate in mine --
things tend to get sorted out in the end. Hope all's well over there in
"NWA," fellas...

All best,

Dave Gheesling
IMCA #5967