[meteorite-list] K-T fossil meteorite picture

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 21 May 2009 11:23:34 UT

Hello Sterling, List, and KT-Extinctionists,

"It's a "fossilized" meteorite, meaning it's seriously been altered
by the terrestrial environment, with replaced minerals and all
the rest. It was found some years ago. I've seen a photo of it,
but can't find that website today, but it is an encapsulated clast
that can only be identified as carbonaceous by the simple fact
that it's so rich in carbon."

You can find color pics of this fossilized, terrestrialized piece plus
some info in an article in the January 2000 issue of the National
Geographic in the department "Geographica" and there's another
article + color photo here:

Sky & Telescope, March 1999,
p. 22: Piece of a Killer Asteroid ?

The picture description says:

"This 2.5-millimeter-wide fossil meteorite, embedded in the light brown clay
from the Pacific sea floor, may be the first known sample of the object that
struck the Earth 65 million years ago, driving many species to extinction.
Courtesy Frank T. Kyte."

I am going to send the pics to your personal email address!

Best from Germany,
Fathers' Day here :-)

Bernd

To: Meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com