[meteorite-list] Tunguska question

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 14:06:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric, all -

We have bollides, and then we have meteorite searches. In the case of carbonaceous chondrites, recoveries after bollides are pretty small, from what I've seen here.

We also have about 13 multi-kiloton upper atmosphere airbursts per year observed by early warning sats. Regular public announcement of what hits then, whether COMET or asteroid, is non-existant, as is any NASA attempt to launch a sat to publicly figure out what's hitting.

My conclusion, as usual, is that Weiler and Morrison need to be relieved.
The impact hazard is non-trivial.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas