[meteorite-list] My Buzzard Coulee Photo Journal + "MM" Repeat

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:35:41 -0700

Dear Listees:

Greetings from sunny Tucson.

I'd like to invite you to take a look at my Buzzard Coulee meteorite
hunt photo journal which we just completed today. That was one of my
best ever meteorite adventures: great company, lovely scenery,
friendly landowners, blizzards, colorful characters, and lots of black
rocks. And the egg salad sandwiches from Tim Horton's were excellent!

Thanks to my hunting partner, Lisa Marie, for being such a good team
mate and taking so many terrific pictures.

To view the journal, please click on the photo link on my home page:

http://www.aerolite.org

Or you can go directly here:

http://www.aerolite.org/expeditions/bc/buzzard-coulee-meteorite.htm

A while back, our friend Mike Bandli posted his hilarious list of
"firsts" from the trip he and Rob Wesel made to Buzzard, and he
inspired me to do the same -- thanks Mike, hope you don't mind me
copycating you : )

- My first visit to scenic Saskatchewan
- First Canadian meteorite find
- Lisa Marie's first meteorite find ever (she's very excited because
now she can raise her hand at the Birthday Bash 2010, as can her
sister Suzanne)
- First time hunting for meteorites in the snow
- First meteorite found in a pile of deer poop
- First ever major third degree by Canadian immigration
- First time recovering meteorites from two different fireballs in the
same year (West and Buzzard)
- My first encounter with "a real strewnfield pirate" as Rob described
him
- Most recovered material from a single fireball (total number as well
as total weight)
- First time staying in a hotel on an expedition where the restaurant
was open 'til 11 pm (that was nice)
- First time I walked into a post office where they didn't know me
personally and the clerk asked: "What are you mailing -- meteorites?"

And last and definitely worst:

- First time having to leave all my rocks in another country while
waiting for export permits. That was very painful!

In other news, I'd like to remind US viewers that there is another
screening of Steve's and my new show "Meteorite Men," tomorrow, Monday
May 25 at 5 pm Eastern on Science Channel and Science Channel HD.
Since tomorrow is a holiday in the USA, I imagine some of you may be
in front of the TV around that hour with a brewski anyway : ) Show
times vary (it airs at 3 pm in Tucson), so if you're tuning in please
check local listings.

I added a making of "Meteorite Men" article to my science blog -- www.meteoriteblog.org
  -- which includes some new photos:

http://meteoriteblog.org/2009/05/19/meteorite-men-the-television-show.aspx

And the opening scenes of "Meteorite Men" can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pA-tYNwh1o

I guess that's it for a warm Sunday night in Tucson.

Happy Memorial Day to all our US subscribers, thanks for reading, and
all the best from the Wild West,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com