[meteorite-list] Fireballs Meteors & Meteorites

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:52:46 -0500

Hi,

These are random events. And random may be
statistically defined as "one every 2.37 days" (or
whatever), but they don't happen on a 2.37-day
schedule.

The first thing you notice when you plot "random"
events is that they seem to "cluster." I say "seem"
because humans are very sensitively primed to "see"
patterns and potential trends in the events of the
world.

Frequencies go up; frequencies go down; it's random.
That's what random means. Every event is completely
unpredictable. Yet, given a large number of events
and a long enough period of time, the "completely
unpredictable" is "completely predictable," in the
miracle of statistical mechanics. Watch a large group
of randomly decaying uranium atoms draw a near-
perfect mathematical curve of declining activity.

The Universe likes to have it both ways. In contrast
to what Einstein thought, God does roll the dice but,
at the same time, the game is totally rigged.

Or is it?

The only valid rule about seeing fireballs and meteors
is this: they may fall or they may not fall, but if you're
not looking, you won't see them.

Sterling K. Webb