[meteorite-list] Collection succession planning

From: Pat Brown <scientificlifestyle_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:40:12 -0800

         <A6D0B450AD084CDFB782498064DD40EE at D190TH71>

 <E24C00FF4CBE4D368E5694DB76A36E1B at meteorroom>

Hi Dave and the List=2C=20

Excellent article and very timely.=20

I would suggest one more item to add to Step #6:

Namely=2C cultivating a love for meteorites and tektites and related materi=
als in some of your children=2C grandchildren=2C nieces=2C nephews=2C etc.=
=20

Personally=2C I value keeping most of my collection in my family. Sure=2C t=
here are a few items that were specifically purchased as investments=2C but=
 I want the majority of my collection to fuel this passion in my descendant=
s/kin.=20

Towards that end=2C for Christmas each year=2C I prepare a special -additio=
nal- gift for each of my children (23 and 20 yrs old) and my nieces and nep=
hews (15 yrs to 3 yrs old) that is space rock related. I also include a gif=
t certificate to a bookstore to cultivate a love of books and life long lea=
rning.=20

One year I gave each of them a framed in-situ photo and customized topo map=
 printout with each child's name and a small Nevada meteorite that I recove=
red from the field. I used a two sided glass frame with the in-situ photo v=
isible from the front with the meteorite mounted below=3B the back of the f=
rame showed the topo map with the latitude and longitude coordinates and a =
title of "Fred's Meteorite". Nearly every one of these went to grammar scho=
ol 'show and tell'. At least one niece has a meteorite 'shrine' on top of h=
er dresser.

One year=2C I made up some lunar micros potted in epoxy in a hold punched t=
hrough a laminated business card glued down to a piece of sheet metal. This=
 allowed the kids to 'touch the moon'.=20

Another year the kids each got an SNC micro in a riker mount with a customi=
zed laminated collection card in each child's name.=20

There are 10 kids=2C nieces and nephews total in my clan=3B so if I get a 1=
0% yield=2C that cultivates one collector to pass on my collection to. If t=
he yield is>10%=2C then the collection can be logically divided.=20

Each family was given a copy of our own O. Richard Norton's _Rocks from Spa=
ce_=3B which I can highly praise as a great introduction to the subject for=
 scientifically literate children of all ages.=20

Are your young kin scientifically literate? It is literally never too early=
 to start! (pun intended)

Christmas is coming up=3B what am I going to do this year?......

Best Regards=2C=20
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Pat - scientific lifestyle

                                              =20