[meteorite-list] Jim Smaller

From: Jack Schrader <schraderj_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:02:50 -0800 (PST)

I never had the pleasure of meeting Jim Smaller but my son Devin was fortunate to know him personally.? Jim was truly one of the good guys in the meteorite world.? Devin was in the process of studying and classifying Sacramento Wash 005 and put out a list message?asking?for a possible donation of this material to the U of A for his research.? Jim Smaller was the first to respond to Devin's request.??Jim was more than happy to donate some of the pieces he had found, one of which was one of the larger pieces?found in the area.? Jim made this donation purely out of the goodness of his heart and never asked for any recognition or compensation.? Devin first met Jim while out hunting the Holbrook strewn field.? Devin's mother Kathleen wanted to find a Holbrook so she and Devin made the trip and ran into Jim in the strewn field.? Jim was encouraging and enthusiastic and more than willing to offer any and all information regarding the best spots to
 find stones in the strewn field to insure success for Devin and his Mother that day.? Devin has written a research paper on Sacramento Wash 005 to be published in 2010 and?he wishes to dedicate this publication to the memory of Jim Smaller.? Devin and I would like to convey our most profound condolences to the family and friends of Jim Smaller.? The meteorite world has lost a real friend and Jim will not be forgotten.? Devin and Jack Schrader