[meteorite-list] Ash Creek the most expensive ordinary chondrite?‏

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:02:38 -0500

Hi Jason and all,

Good post Jason and I agree with a great deal of what you said. I should
have been a bit more specific when I commented and will here. I am sure
there is some fault that people will be able to find and I'll read with
interest further comments. Surely details of an interesting fall gets the
attention of collectors who want part of the fall.

To get to the point, when you have more people hunt a fall, often you get
the hunters raising the offers they will pay for the specimens to land
owners. Some of this is out of desperation to bring a new fall to the market
(what ever happened to getting things classified first) and not getting
skunked on your trip. More hunters more competition to buy what is out there
or found. A bidding war can ensue and drive the price up dramatically. This
happened in Park Forest and I know first hand from the dozen trips I made
there.

Fewer hunters and the better chance that everyone there will be able to buy
pretty much what they want and at a better price. If we have 50 hunters and
they only average about 400 grams each, and drive the price they will pay
for the material higher then they have to ask more for their limited average
amount.

Fewer dealers, say 10 hunters for example and a better chance to lower price
for material paid, plus more material for each hunter (say four or five
times more, then the hunter will be able to charge less to make a good
profit and be rewarded for the trouble he or she is going to.

I know that hunters will always pursue a fall and we can't regulate who
hunts, it's open to anyone but my feeling is that having too many hunters
drive costs up in several ways and not just the basic costs of getting there
and staying for a while. The saying too many cooks spoil the broth may
pertain here. Too many hunters spoil the fall.

Perhaps in the future an honor system might be used for falls close to
hunters in order to better serve the collecting community. Did I say
honor.................nah will never work :-)

--AL Mitterling