[meteorite-list] Full time meteorite people.

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:47:21 -0500

Dear Greg L.,

I would offer to speculate that the purpose of the post from Eric Webb
(who I am not familiar with), is that we might be better off
distinguishing between economically sustainable activities in the
meteorite supply chain and those that are not.

It would seem a reasonable follow up if one allows for that important
economic distinction - It is unclear of what use it is to lump these
two segments of meteorite "workers" together and what actually the OP
had in mind.

This is an international list: For example, in the fashion and textile
industries, would a similar question count the alleged masses of child
slave cotton laborers in Uzbekistan (the world's 2nd or 3rd largest
cotton exporter) ?

Granted - that example is simply for shock value and I am apolitical
though sympathetic to my brothers. So, in our case, where do you draw
the line in this census, the poor nomad in his tent, the gambler of
personal time in the US (From China Lake to Chicago) who is just
looking for something fun to do and doesn't value the finds as much as
the excitement of the chase, or the webmaster / eBay cowboy right to
the scientists and technicians that draw a salary or fees based on a
concentration in meteoritics, curating, preparing specimens ...

Back to the speculation. I think the original question was nebulous
enough that Mr. Webb was a bit passionate and a bit provocative. You
both got me thinking about it, anyway...

2 centavos from the +25th parallel.
Kindest wishes
Doug

- A. Einstein