[meteorite-list] Meteorites in your Carry-On Luggage

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:31:12 -0800

I may be late for this:

I was flying from DC with some meteorites and I carried them on (I never check anything I would not want to lose or need) and the TSA looked at them like the were from "outer space"... heHeHe... and they pulled me aside and asked me questions. I told the I was visiting the Smithsonian. Now there were about three of the looking at my stones handing to one another and looking a me oddly. At this point I was getting worried; a few 100 gram chondrites i found and some rare achondrites I have bought - including a mars meteorite. Well, after a bout 5 or 10 minutes they let me go... wow, I was sweating. I would certainly call the airline and check.

Greg S.