[meteorite-list] Meteorites & Competition

From: mafer at imagineopals.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:38:41 +0000

I liked the comment about suits siting around a board table like is done
with oil and gold. That is such an one sided way of doing commerce (some
old fuddy siting at a table with his country's flag in his hand agreeing to
pay x dollars for a commodity that he makes so much anyway, he could care
less how it affects those at the bottom of the wage scales, where is the
free enterprise, yet men just like this run our lives. Keeping that
mentality out of meteorites goes a long long way, and dealing with the
principles (those who actually find the meteorites) will do more for
keeping the science and hobby alive than most could see. I find it harsh
and wrong to pay a middleman a high price when he has undercut or misled
the finder. By the same token, without some middlemen, we wouldn't have
many finds and they would have been dumped on the ground as a waste of time
and the strewn field forgotten about.

Keeping things real and in perspective are important.

Mark Ferguson