[meteorite-list] YD impacts: isotopes, image?, Carolina Bays, and AD

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:58:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Paul, Rich -

I am sceptical of Firestone's claim of supernova as the production mechanism for the isotope variations observed. As an alternative, my GUESS (hypothesis) is that neutrons and protons are freed in large hyper-velocity impacts.

This should be a relatively easy hypothesis to check. If I am correct about one spike in the INTCAL98 chart, then Barringer crater in Arizona should be surrounded by unusual isotopes. Or it may be that deuterium or tritium in comets is the material from which the neutrons and protons are freed; I have no idea whether nucleon binding energies vary from element to element, or from isotope to isotope.

In any case, since my stroke all of this kind of work is beyond me. If any list participant wants an image of what may be a Native American petroglyph showing this impact, or at least a cometary impact, please contact me off list.

On the Carolina Bays, there appears to be evidence for an impact mega-tsunami hitting the east coast of North America around 1,050 BCE. This may be reflected in the Carolina Bays' distribution and their contents.

I'd like to thank Gary Fujihara for his mention of my book in his list, and I'd like to thank Dirk for setting up a blogspot for me:

http://manandimpactsintheamericas.blogspot.com/

Go by and take a look.

As always, copies of my book are available to list members for $20 plus $5 for shipping in the US, or plus $15 for shipping outside the US. Dealers with stores please contact me off list if you want to carry copies.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas