[meteorite-list] Nickel test

From: meteoriteman at comcast.net <meteoriteman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:12:39 +0000 (UTC)

Hi everyone, recently while testing some of my possible meteorites finds from the Park Forest strewnfield, I made an interesting discovery. I use the method described in the "Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites" by Richard Norton, test method 2. I inadvertently left the specimen soaking in the distilled vinegar overnight. The next day when I poured in the ammonia, the liquid turned blue. If I add a drop of the dimethylglyoxime solution, the liquid will change color to red. My question is, is the dimethylglyoxime necessary? Seems that the blue color indicates the presents of nickel.

Cheers,
Jim K