[meteorite-list] Photo of a K-chondrite / Could this be one of the rarest meteorites found?

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:17:19 -0800

Jason, list,

Maybe I don't quite understand... ;) The size of an individual meteorite
whether ungrouped or even a previously unknown type or new
classification would not be the deciding factor in determining rarity at
all would it?

If of course you consider the major factor concerning rarity to be the
number of stones or TKW, and you don't slice or break up the specimen,
then a 1 ton stone could of course be the rarest type in existence if it
were in fact of some previously unknown or ungrouped type right? The
same could be said if no one had access to that 1 ton specimen.

Technically speaking distribution and access to material is also a
determining factor of the rarity of a meteorite. The term "rarest
meteorite" does not quite depend on type or class alone.

So yes I would agree that you're right, if type were the only factor
involved, then your 1-2g specimen of an ungrouped type it would be the
rarest meteorite.

But consider the Willamette meteorite, or the Old Woman meteorite. They
are both irons, and of a common class, but the distribution of that
particular material in private and university collections makes it rare
doesn't it?

Obviously I'm splitting hairs... Maybe it's more about the meaning of
the phrase "the rarest meteorite" than the actual rarity of the
meteorite type class.

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA