[meteorite-list] Sikhote crust-chondrite / Could this be one of the rarest meteorites found?

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:37:32 -0800

Carl, All,
Wow, thanks for that...hum.
Right - I think people are confusing rarity with desirability, market
value, and collector availability, when these are all really distinct
terms.
Right, it's all about O-isotopes now, but I'm not really sure why - it
seems to me that chemistry should be just as important...surely there
could have been parent bodies forming in the same general areas as
each other that were distinct bodies, but that, due to their relative
proximity, have similar or identical O-isotope values. I don't know -
maybe that is how we group things...seems illogical to me, though.

The trouble with "fusion crust..."
If I recall, a while back, Elton made some strange comments about a
fusion crust having to be composed of siliceous material and
impurities such as oxides etc. He argued that, because the crust that
forms on irons lacks silicates, it is not a true fusion crust.

The consensus of the list was that the crust that forms on irons may
be chemically distinct from the crust that forms on stones, but it is
for all intensive purposes analogous in pretty much every way to the
stony version, so we might as well call them the same thing.

I think the reason we don't see much in the way of fusion crust on
silicated irons is because, well, there aren't many fresh silicated
irons around. There are plenty of examples of crusted irons - and
with just over 50 iron falls, some of which are accessible to
collectors, well, they're there to be seen. I don't know how many of
those ~50 iron falls are silicated, but I do know one thing - of all
of them, Udei Station's the only one that's available in any real
quantity, and I've never seen an example with good crust. I don't
think that's because it didn't form a fusion crust - I just think that
such pieces aren't widely available, so they remain out of our field
of view, for the most part...

Think of Estherville, things like that. They're made of a pretty even
mix of iron and stone and they still form a fusion crust.

I have a ~4.7g 1/2 end of Bencubbin that shows some pretty spectacular
warty fusion crust...I can get some pictures up if you'd like. I
figure that's about 1/2 stone and metal as well, so...yeah.

Regards,
Jason