[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust on Irons--Not

From: debfred at att.net <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:36:35 +0000

  It seems it depends on what your definition of is, is? If your definition of fusion crust is "that it contains silicates" then by your definition irons cannot have a "fusion crust". They undeniably can have a layer of atmospherically melted then cooled material that formed from the
unaltered underlying iron meteor. It forms in an identical fashion to Fusion crust on stony meteors! Call it peanut butter or blue cheese it doesn't matter to me. Irons have fusion crust in my book.
Regards Fred Olsen
From: "Martin Altmann" <altmann at meteorite-martin.de>