[meteorite-list] Ablation Zone 5 Layers...Not

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:01:18 -0800 (PST)

Dear Jason If everything is a part of the fusion crust than every meteorite is fusion crusted end of discussion. So are you really saying that every meteorite regardless of how condition has fusion crust even if all the extra trans-located material is missing?

I don't have the luxury of going point by point as you have but apparently you are unfamiliar with the Oxford and Cambridge dictionary definitions as well as all their Dictionaries of Geology. Most of the literature and practically all of the referenced websites use the silicate glassy/glassy term in defining fusion crust--and in context they are most always speaking of stoney meteorites.

 We've been down this discussion before and while I respect Buchwald's observations: he is an industrial metallurgist and had no training I can see in mineralogy nor geology. He became a iron meteorite subject matter expert in his own right( I don't know that he ever did any work on any other type. I see no incentive on his part to reevaluate the surface changes as he was focused on cataloging the interior features. Somehow I don't think "crust" was an issue for him and in the absence of inquiry into the use of the term there was never a need to rethink it. He has an email address--write him and ask him what he meant.

Nininiger was a biology teacher and while another legitimate self-made expert in the field it wasn't technically oriented until late in his career. This shouldn't be taken as disrespectful and doesn't mean that everything he assumed was gospel-- especially given the state of scientific tools in his lifetime. He laid the foundation for meteoritical study but that doesn't mean he knew all there was to know about meteorites. His book about meteorite surface features was mainly a photo documentation with little analysis and generally lacking in comparative studies of the crust.

Much of this argument that they are "the experts" and as such are infallible, is misguided and out of context, as the tools available now are vastly more quantitative than tools of their day. So is our body of knowledge more complete than during their careers. (

I am calling the ablation surface below any "crust" feature because well...it is. The ablation surface is the last level we can ascertain the fusion has occurred. When the crust is worn away the ablation surface is revealed. I am also not calling the oxide coating a "fusion crust" because,... well...it isn't ( necessarily) fused material and represents either condensation or contact metamorphism of the final flight air soaked, modified surface. I am also not calling the surface of SA's which show aero-thermo-dynamic interaction that form the troughs "crust" because partial melting/softening/gas jet ablation does not meet the definition of fusion/fusing. How you see it as fusion crust illustrates my point that we call everything fusion crust when it is not even fused material. I think it deserves a more objective review and understanding of the complexities and not reduced to a universal simplicity. As to my point about extensively rusted/shalely Canyon
 Diablos being said to have "fusion crust", sounds like we are in violent agreement.

The point of addressing the loss of the coating over time was to suggest further inquiry into what the actual chemical composition was and to indicate I felt it was a class of mineral/compounds which were unstable in an oxygen rich atmosphere.

Again --some irons have apparent classical fusion crust but, I have to disagree that all irons have fusion crust--that is why ablation surface is an important distinction and is better nomenclature that serves as a starting point for discussing all meteorite surfaces and where crust begins and ends. I believe when and where it is found it needs as much analytical scrutiny as we spend on the interior so we know its source material and how it came to be crust.

Rather than me reiterate what I've already addressed perhaps you would like to read it more collaboratively as some of what you replied to skipped over where there is agreement and also you've challenged the studies about how deeply thermal alteration occurs in different meteorites.

I am not ready to roll over on the claim that a chemically bonded oxide constitutes fusion crust unless you want to drop the word fusion. I proposed some terms for use in defining a meteorite's surface more descriptively. Other than disagree out of principle, you didn't give a counter argument as to why the model I laid out was in error.

Finally I will reiterate the problems with trying to have a reasonable succinct discussion when out of context examples are introduced as if they were the rule rather than the exception they are.

Elton