[meteorite-list] Ablation Zone 5 Layers...Not

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:45:39 +0100

Hi Jason,

I'd say, it's to early to theorize in that very thread.
Cause it seem to me, that you and Elton are talking at cross-purposes.

Because I suppose, that Elton hadn't yet such an example of a fusion crusted
iron in his hand. So that the initial base for that discussion isn't given
yet.

That's no wonder, because fusion crusted irons are extremely rare.
There are only 49 observed falls, most of them aren't available in form of
specimens with larger surfaces to the collector or at all. Not many of them
produced many individuals.
And early picked Sikhotes with preserved crust (like the one with a crust
thick like a fingernail from Krinov's 1st flush, I linked to - my personal
epiphany of iron fusion crust) are rare.

And in my eyes it makes not much sense to have a theoretic discussion if the
phenomenon, the discussion is about, is such a very concrete one.

Terminology is a very secondary thing, because it describes and/or defines
objects. Therefore it's not necessary to argue about.
Use as working terms "fusion crust" for silicate melts, "lard" for iron
melts :-)

Well to doubt the abilities of a Krinov, Nininger, Buchwald ect because
their curricula vitae show not enough formal qualifications in that field of
science (which they often firstly created)
is very bigheaded (? Don't know the right English term)
and not directly scientific, cause it doesn't change the physical phenomenon
of that thing called crust.

Would mean also in turn, that a Ralew, a Hupe, a Fectay, a Haberer...and so
on, wouldn't be able to recognize a possible Lunar or Martian, because they
don't have hanging a diploma of geology on the wall :-)

Btw. has Cohen, Ramdohr, Wasson smth written about fusion crust on irons?

Best!
Martin