[meteorite-list] One can't be right all the time : )

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:41:18 -0700

Hello List,
By following some of my home do-it-yourself'er rule of thumb tests, I
thought for a while this piece of metal might be a meteorite. It was
heavily coated with rust or mineral coating. I put it in CLR for a
few days and here is what I found:

<http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mmurray_02/IMG_1145.jpg>

<http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mmurray_02/IMG_1146.jpg>

<http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mmurray_02/IMG_1147.jpg>

Its what appears to be the end of a 3/8" bolt or it's near equivalent
in metric size. To my eye, it has some of the same surface features
as one might expect to find on a small iron meteorite. It sure threw
me, I first thought it might be an iron meteorite, at least until I
got it cleaned up and saw the remanent threads.

Mike in CO

ps, For fun... What do you see in this picture, a honeycomb with holes
or bumps? Look at it for a bit, then scroll down so it is out of
sight and then scroll back up to see it again. Any difference?

<http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mmurray_02/IMG_1154.jpg>