[meteorite-list] Crust Descriptions...was Ablation

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 04:07:56 -0800 (PST)

Certainly the best collection of observations set to text I've seen. Thanks for digging up the details Fred. This also goes into detail as to the kind of structures that can be seen over the various faces of the meteoroids orientations.

One exception: Yes "glassy" is a term used to describe luster but "glassy:composed of glass" has a specific meaning in mineralogy. I believe the use in this context is in respect to composition not luster. Otherwise the term "metallic" should be used for irons.

Very few meteorites-- notably eucrites have a glassy-lustered crust, however most all silicate bearing meteorites have a glassy crustal composition in the mineralogical sense. Some of the Silicates are the only class of minerals I can think of which can form glass, although there are likely others. Iron silicates form a dark glass upon melting/quenching however free iron oxidizes and forms magnetite-class minerals and therefore not "glass". Ordinary chondrites have both components. The mention or non mention of the elements is understood by anyone familiar with the mineralogy. Same issue Fe vs Mg in the color of olivine in pallasites.

Regards,
Elton

PS Speaking of simple errors which make it into our reference sources: We know now that ablation and crust formation result from liberation of heat during compression and not because what was long believed to be from "air friction". Sometimes accuracy suffers when one tries to get the main point across. There is always room to ask the source again for clarification.