[meteorite-list] Ablation Zone 5 Layers...AND Crust

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:12:04 -0800

Elton and List:

I just wanted to point out that in much of the literature (and on the web) it is stated that there is a fusion crust on irons, so I do not think this is the your argument.? It is how the term is should be used.? I think you make many valid points and I have done some reading on the subject - and thus, learning more about it.? It appears that the so called "crust" that forms on stony meteorites and irons may be very different, both in their content and how they form.? On a stony, the outer layer heats very rapidly and starts the process of ablation.? Then material is removed (causing the vapor trail) and a protective coating forms as the melt cools and forms a glass like Material.? As we know, the different mineral content produces different fusion crust: light brown on Aubrites, dark brown to black on chondrites and a very glossy black on Eucrites and Martian Meteorites due to the Calcium content.? Now on irons, the stone ablates (as we can see flow lines) but the so called crust may be different; not a glas
sy substance like on a stony but more of an iridescent coating.? This very well could be the result of minor amounts of silicate and perhaps even carbon related substances within the iron.? I think a paper discussing the similarities and differences of the "fusion crust" or thermal coatings on stony, stony-iron and iron meteorite would be fascinating; if it has not be done already.

Please let me point out that I enjoy these posts as it provides a great learning tool.?

Much Thanks,

Greg S. ? ?