[meteorite-list] Meteorite - new issue - Lovina ungrouped iron

From: info at niger-meteorite-recon.de <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:44:41 +0100 (CET)

Today the current issue of Meteorite arrived. While I haven't found time yet to
read through the articles, I had a post card fell from inbetween pages, showing
brilliant and most exciting photo, which?I'd like to point your kind attention
to.?

The photo?shows the surf-sculpted mass of the Lovina ungrouped iron, a 1981 find
from Bali?Indonesia of a 8.2 kg meteoritic iron.?Ever since I heard from its
discovery and classification I wondered how?it might look like. Particularly as
I walked the very?beach where it was found?repeatedly in 2004 and 2008. Well, it
is not exxagerated to say, that the specimen's appearance?has nothing in common
with?iron meteorites as?we know them.

The anthrazite colored mass?displays a beautiful and striking three dimensional
crystallization pattern which reminds one on the?stepped roof?architectures of
Balinese temples?- or on colonies of polyhedral Pacific barnacles clinging to
rocks in the surf.?The iron?is of such striking plasticity that?one is tempted
doubt, that the?structures?present are indeed revealed by nature and not by
a very gifted sculptor. ?????

Perhaps our fellow list member and author of this world class?photo, Darryl
Pitt, is so kind to?provide a link. For those who might not receive Meteorite,
or think, they "have seen it all"?its really worth a look.

Svend

www.meteorite-recon.com