[meteorite-list] Bassikounou OCTOBER 16th

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:03:32 -0400

Hi Peter,

While the fall is officially listed as October 16 in the database, the
only thing you posted and which I responded to was:

"Recalculated to 12 October 2006 22Na was 38.0?2.2 and 26Al 31.5?2.1
(both dpm/kg), the activity ratio of 1.21 is fully consistent with a
fall on that date."

Of couse the 16th is in the online Met Bulletin as the official fall
date, and it seemed you thought the date was the 12th by posting the
above. Most definitely, though the Meteoritical bulletin database is
only as good as the information that it receives. And most definitely I
agree with you now that you say you were only referencing the fall date
in the link, rather than the Oct 12 info you posted to the list.

The question I answered which is interesting, to me at least, was
whether something as short as 4 days difference could be determined
scientifically by the radionuclides mentioned. The answer in this case
was most certainly: No. Something that could be nice to know ...

It might be a good idea that the online database clears up the apparent
inconsistency a little better regarding the October 12 date it lists in
relation to the gamma measurements. Also the clear error that it states
that the measurements were taken in December - January 2006 should be
updated to January 2007, if in fact that is the date. It would seem
they received that typo from Svend whose website says the same=2
0thing at
the moment, on page 5 of his superb article when discussing the support
between the two different fall dates (4 days apart):

http://www.niger-meteorite-recon.de/en/Bassikounou_Meteorite_5.htm

Typographically yours
Doug