[meteorite-list] Southern America museuns meteorite trades

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:01:15 +0200

Hi Andr?,

I guess, you have to delete Argentina from your list.
I'm not fully sure about, but due to the new legislation, where Argentinean
meteorites are handled like artefacts, they aren't allowed to be exported
anymore.
It is hard for the Argentinean curators and scientists, but I fear, they
will have to do without meteorites as consequence of the new law. Or better
to say, from now on, they rather have to purchase new material, because the
most cost-effective way, the swapping and trading is now blocked.
Even if there shall be a possibility to acquire special permits (?),
I doubt, that anyone of the main suppliers of important meteorites, not to
mention the private collectors, would be willing to occupy himself with all
that paperwork.

I think this was also the main reason, why so few only gave meteorites on
loan to Andrzej's exhibition - cause with the new Polish export prohibition,
they weren't sure, whether they would get their pieces back or feared the
red tape.

Don't know about the actual situation in Poland - we'd love to trade
meteorites with Polish museums, like I did sometimes in past and where all
were happy - and now we have more amazing material than ever, but I don't
know, whether that is still possible at all.

Another terrifying aspect, aside the main problem of the breaking down of
the number of newly recovered meteorites - how harmful improper laws created
without expert knowledge are for meteorite science and the institutional and
national collections.

Very worrying, the developments of the recent years..

Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----