[meteorite-list] Dry Lakes in Australia

From: Norbert & Heike Kammel <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:23:39 +1100

Hi Greg,

good luck with meteorite hunting here Down-Under. I have to mention our
stringent laws in this matter, but you may just find an odd looking 'rock'?

The dry lakes you notice on GoogleEarth nearly all of them are dry salt
lakes. You must be very lucky to find a just freshly fallen rock,
otherwise it would be crusted with salt crystals - not to recognize and
destroyed by the salt. That is just my bit of experience.
But there are surely some smaller clay pans, certainly worth to have a
look at.
May be you find a nice flanged button tektite? They are exempt from the
otherwise required export permit!

Anyway, have a nice time here in Australia.

Best regards from Down-Under,

Norbert Kammel
IMCA # 3420
www.rocksonfire.com